Monday, April 10, 2006

The Real Gidget



By Deanne Stilllman . Surf Culture: The Art History of Surfing

The Taco Bell Chihuahua is named Gidget. So is the ladies' room at the Tres Hombres Restaurant in Hawaii. A cook on the Internet calls herself Gidget. Malibu Chicken features a sandwich called Gidget, and Barney's sells a line of Gidget lipstick. A stripper on cable television goes by the name of Gidget, and a Southern California band called The Suburban Lawns invoked Gidget in its song, Gidget Goes to Hell.

I met Gidget while dating this Santa Monica mermaid. She is a very special lady and still surfs today. She is the hostess at Dukes in Malibu and last weekend we all had brunch. Wanting to know more, perused the net and found several articles and clips along with pictures. This article seems to me very well written and I'm sure I'll ask Gidget about some of the paragraphs that interested me most. I've sat through the movies again, with my mermaid and will no doubt watch the Sally Field TV version as it's now on DVD.

P.S. I'm still dating my mermaid, and I'm not sure, but I think I'm also dating Gidget. ;)

No comments: